Re: more git updates..

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:01:22AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> So I was for a while debating having a totally flat directory space, but
> since there are _some_ downsides (linear lookup for cold-cache, and just
> that "ls -l" ends up being O(n**2) and things), I decided that a single
> fan-out is probably a good idea.

Isn't that fixed even in ext2/ext3 these days?

man mke2fs:
                   dir_index
                          Use  hashed  b-trees  to  speed  up lookups in large
                          directories.

Also, the popular reiserfs was designed with this in mind from the start.

> > Or maybe the files should be named objects/xx/yy/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?
>
> Hey, I may end up being wrong, and yes, maybe I should have done a
> two-level one.

Unless there still is performance issues, please don't.  A directory
structure with extra levels is necessarily harder to use if one
ever have to use it manually somehow.

Helge Hafting