Timers to threads

 Dear Sir/Mam
  We are using Linux in one of our embedded products.This is the first time we are  working in this Platform.We have few doubts regarding implementing s/w timers & how  to pass the  timer interrupts to threads .
 In net we coudnt find exactly what we want .Could you please help us in this regard?

Ideas from us
1. If we want a thread to execute at particular intervals should it be done only through
usleep()  system call ? Will it be accurate enough ?
Because it is a real time design for a Medical Product.

2. If we use kernel timers to invoke at particular time intervals using add_timer () how to  pass on to the application that the time has elapsed?

A piece of code demonstartion would be much more helpful to us

Thanks & Regards,
Reefath Banu Rajali
Software Engineer
Larsen & Toubro