Re: Mac mini sound woes

On 2005-03-30, at 01:39, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 17:25 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
Lee Revell wrote:

This is the exact line of reasoning that led to Winmodems.

My main issue with winmodems is not so much the software offload, but
rather that the vendors don't release full specs.

If all winmodem manufacturers released full hardware specs, I doubt
people would really complain all that much. There's a fairly large pool
of talent available to write drivers once the interfaces are known.

Look at the pile of junk that are most winmodem driver implementations,
nothing I want to see in the kernel ever. Those things should be in
userland.

You are joking? Linux IS NOT an RT OS. And well not too long ago you could be jailed for example in germany for using not well behaving communication devices.