Re: Mouse-wheel nudge left-right now generates key-presses, not buttons 6+7

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:58:12 +0100
Neil Bird wrote:

>    Since upgrading to Fedora 14 from 12, I'm seeing my wheel-mouse
> generating the *key* presses <Left> and <Right> instead of the expected
> button clicks <button-6> and <button-7>.
>
>    This means that while it still works in, say, Firefox (where <Left> and
> <Right> scroll the current view), and I can move my caret left and right
> (!), it won't work anywhere else like it used to (e.g., directory tree views).
>

>    Any ideas how I can get the old functionality back?
>
> # xorg.conf snippet
> Section "InputDevice"
>      # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/mouse"
>          Identifier  "Mouse0"
>          Driver      "mouse"
>          Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>          Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>          Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
>          Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection

That section is utterly ignored now with the new evdev xinput layer
and it sounds like evdev has decided to arbitrarily define some mouse
buttons as keys (it would be great if that was generally configurable
so I could make keyboard keys look like buttons and vice-versa, but
I don't think it is).

You can eradicate the new evdev layer and use the old xinput system
by adding this to xorg.conf (I think - may have changed since the last
time I looked):

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
EndSection