Re: Logging system usage -

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 14:40:16 -0400,
  Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         I need a bit more help to get my thought processes working. I
>         have a "modem" and a router [Linksys E3000 w/dd-wrt] between
>         which I could install a an old Linksys 10/100 ethernet hub and
>         run a line [~50 ft] to this computer to process the data.

I was suggesting using the current router to do traffic shaping to keep
you data usage under control on a daily basis. Though you can also track
aggregate totals as well. OpenWRT is more flexible than ddwrt, though you
can probably do this with ddwrt as well. If you have the device set up
as a bridge (which is likely) that makes it harder to distinguish which
traffic is going where, though it should be possible.

>         I was hoping to find an application that would process that data
>         into something I could interpret. I tried that a couple of years
>         ago but was unable to get anything I could deal with ...

You should be able to query and reset counters with a script. Just make sure
to check them often enough that a power outage won't mess things up too
badly.

>         Netflow says their application is not intended for home use?
>         It's not clear to me if that has to be installed in a
>         computer/router or if it's something I can install here in this
>         computer or if it might already be installed in some routers out
>         of the box?

Consumer routers generally don't have a lot of memory and may prevent you
from doing that. I am not familiar with that partciular package and don't
know if it is likely to fit or not.

>         It would be nice if someone could say try this approach. If
>         there is an advantage to using openwrt instead for collecting
>         this data I have another router I can probably install it on, a
>         Netgear WNDR3300/dd-wrt. I can follow instructions but I can't
>         write an application.

Maybe start by seeing what you can do with ddwrt to see if that approach is
practical for you at all. Writing scripts to pull counter data periodically
shouldn't be too bad. The main thing is making sure the traffic is being
properly counted. Doing shaping/policing has the advantage of proactively
preventing you from using up your quota before you can react.