Re: X server in F14 horribly slow

On 03/30/2011 01:15 PM, JD wrote:
>> I suspect you have something mis-configured, but I have no clue as to
>> what right now.
> But I did not change any configuration between fc13 and fc14.

Nor did I, but I had *lot's* of problems initially with my working
F12/F13 configuration after I switched to F14.  Mostly due to changes in
the ati driver.

1)  I used to have to turn off KMS in order for suspend to work right.

	With F14, I had to not disable it in order to prevent a whole list of
video problems, including text consoles being corrupt, X hanging
completely when it started using the ati driver (I had to use vesa to
even boot up using UMS).  I was finally convinced that by enabling KMS,
things would start working again, and they did, but there was nothing in
the upgrade that suggested doing so was the right thing to do.

2)  I had all sorts of problems with the xorg configuration file.  I had
a *very* complicated one because I had changed it continually since FC6.
 Once I removed most of it, things vastly improved.  Its probably a good
idea anyways since the advent of the /etc/x11/conf.d stuff.  YMMV

So, it might me a good idea to list any anomalies with your
configuration, from kernel boot parameters, to xorg.conf stuff so that
we can see if you are doing anything that might now be considered
problematic.  Also, if you could re-state what your ATI hardware is,
that could be helpful as well.  Is this a desktop or laptop?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx