Re: X server in F14 horribly slow

On 03/30/2011 12:10 AM, JD wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 08:08 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>> Well, it is taking up to 3.5 seconds for the windows
>>> in a workspace to get populated and fully visible
>>> when I switch to that workspace.
>> What is the load avg on the system in question?  I have seen similar on
>> my system when the load avg starts to climb (anything>  5 is really
>> bad).  But, when he load avg is low, redraws should be good.
>>
>>> It used to be almost instantaneous in F13.
>>> I have 2GB ram, and 12 GB swap space, but
>>> very few apps running. Most of the time I have
>>> 6 workspaces, each with a separate FireFox window,
>> Firefox is a resource *PIG*.  Since it is one application, I'd look into
>> how much memory it is using (both in ram and in swap), and whether or
>> not any of its windows are doing anything (like displaying FLASH or
>> active JAVA applets).
>>
>>> and up to 4 4 workspaces, each with a gnome terminal.
>>> and 1 workspace with Thunderbird.
>> How big are your mailboxes?  Thunderbird can also slow you down if you
>> have large mailboxes.
>>
>>> Hardly any space is used in swap. To wit:
>>>
>>> # swapon -s
>>> Filename                Type        Size    Used    Priority
>>> /dev/sda3            partition    4200992   17540     -1
>>> /dev/sdb2            partition    8385924    0        -2
>> What does your performance look like after you close *every* firefox
>> window and thunderbird?  [make sure firefox is no longer running.]
>>
> Here's my load average as reported by top:
>
> top - 21:02:44 up 1 day,  6:41,  5 users,  load average: 0.17, 0.30, 0.73
> The 5 users are myself: the main Gnome login session,
> and 4 Gnome-terminal login shells (I always  start the gnome terminal
> as a login shell (-ls)  )
> Guy, it is not the system load. Under fc13, even when I had multiple
> kernel builds going, 6 FF windows, each with 3 to 4 tabs, and Thunderbird
> running, switching workspaces was snappy.
>
> Something is terribly wrong with Xserver or Gnome, or Ati Radeon Driver,
> or all 3.

On your hardware.  I am also using F14 on my laptop (x86_64) with the
ATI driver, and I only see the problems you see under high system load,
which easily happens with thunderbird open (quite a few *large*
mailboxes) and a *lot* of tabs in 1 firefox window.  Especially when
letting a FLASH window or two run for a couple of hours....

Since I closed firefox (I now use Google chrome sparingly, and close it
when I'm done), I'm running *much* better.  My load avg hasn't shot up
yet (and it should have started doing so already based on my hightly
cron jobs!).  I'll know more tomorrow morning after I suspend it an
restart it.

> What's worse: it will be exceedingly difficult for me to roll back to fc13.
> Isn't progress wonderful!
> I hope an Xorg developer sees this!!

I don't think they'll be interested unless you can prove its your xorg
driver.

Just another thought, how long since you rebooted last?  Sometimes xorg
updates can require a reboot to work right.  When was the last xorg
update you installed?

I suspect you have something mis-configured, but I have no clue as to
what right now.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx