Re: Managing fedora installations behind firewall

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:35 AM, andreas palsson <wpt2097@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Last, how can I make a package which users can simply install to point their
> machines to update from the above mentioned server only, and remove the
> other install sources?

I only manage my home environment so I can't answer most of your
questions but I'll tell you what I do.

I setup a "local" repo on my desktop computer that I copied all of the
DVD provided packages (and some others I've build myself) to. I don't
worry about making the other computers on my home network ONLY use my
local repo so I just add a repo config file pointing to my packages
(over NFS) and give it a lower "cost" which means if a package is
available on both my local repo and in the fedora repos then it will
install from my local repo.

You could remove the other repos so that only the one you create is
used. Then monitor updates and only download the ones you want and
copy them into your repo location. Then a simple "createrepo --update
/path/to/your/packages" and on the next yum update run (or PackageKit
update) will pick up the new packages and update them if they are
installed.

This would be very labor intensive but would give you a great deal of control.

HTH,
Richard