Re: Direction of Fedora desktop manager Gnome, related to complaints in OT morons thread

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:04:36 -0500 Tom H <tomh0665@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM, stan <gryt2@xxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now, there can be many reasons for that:
>>> - the traffic has been split to more specific lists
>>> - people are using other means to get help, such as forums and chat
>>> - Fedora has become so easy to use there aren't as many issues raised
>>> - people are voting with their feet and deserting Fedora
>>
>> I don't think that you can blame GNOME 3 for that drop off; not yet
>> anyway. Ubuntu's had pretty much the same interface up to now.
>>
>> Come F15, I'll be giving up on GNOME (not because I don't like it; I,
>> in fact, like the new look, etc but because I want to vote against the
>> developers' tone deafness) and giving XFCE and LXDE a try - on Fedora.
>>
>> I think that we can blame Ubuntu/Mint for the drop-off (to what
>> extent, I have no idea). And apart from its good PR and cutesy name,
>> I'd put it down to the fact that it's easier to install proprietary
>> drivers and other non-free stuff.
>
> I agree with your view that Ubuntu has good PR and easy-to-install
> proprietary drivers and other non-free stuff, but I am not sure it is
> that great anymore. Many of their releases languish without updates for
> far longer than Fedora, in my experience. Ubuntu is designed to make
> the switch from Windoze to be as painless as possible, and they
> probably achieve that.

I'm pretty sure that if you checked equivalent releases, Fedora
*might* have vers x.(y+1) where Ubuntu has vers x.y but the overall
experience would basically be the same.

> Speaking of which, I am not exactly comfortable with why Fedora (or
> Ubuntu) allow any user to install updates using PackageKit without any
> root access (or sudo password). I feel that this is not really right
> from a security point of view....

I don't think that Ubuntu's ever had this issue and I'm pretty sure (I
hope!) that only F12 had it, very briefly.