Re: Fedora/KDE contact lists - looking for advice:

Craig White wrote:

> Also, you don't actually 'import' an LDAP address book on each local
> computer because that would defeat its purpose, you would simply set up
> KAddressBook (i.e. Kontact) to use the LDAP just like it were a local
> database which would allow you to have read/write permissions (for some
> people anyway) which probably requires authentication. I have found
> KAddressBook quite a reasonable LDAP client application but to the
> uninitiated, it's painful because it doesn't generally provide useful
> errors (such as needing cn/givenName/sn attributes on new entries).

I don't think I understand precisely what you mean.
I don't know how KAddressBook/Kontact uses a local database
let alone a remote one.

However, as I mentioned KMail on my laptop seems to work fine
with the openLDAP server on my desktop;
if I put in part of a name, it completes it and finds the email address.

I assume that this works through KAddressBook?
If so, that would imply that I have in fact set up KAddressBook correctly
so that it accesses the LDAP server.
(It is set up through
KAddressBook=>Settings=>Configure KAddressBook=>LDAP Server Settings
where my LDAP server is specified with TLS Authentication;
clicking on Query Server flashes by so fast as to be entirely useless,
but I assume that this means it is working.)

What is puzzling to me is that I only see this indirectly through KMail;
if I enter Kontact or KAddressBook directly,
I see no way to look for an LDAP contact.
It does not help that there is no documentation for KAddressBook.

Also, there does not seem to be any way to add entries
to the LDAP database through Kontact on the laptop?
(I can add entries from my laptop outside KMail/KAddressBook
through the web-interface at <server>/phpLDAPadmin .)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net