Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If the user was first, the user could have a file named
> README.txt and another file named Readme.txt. Seems like
> dogma is first to me.

You don't have two houses on the same street with the same number, but
different number placement.

In a street number sign, the data is the number, not the typeface or
if the "7" in "678" is a bit higher than the rest.

In a file system, the data in a filename is the human-readable name.
Capitalization can be added for visual style and conventions in human
writing, but it doesnt change the fact that when you speak a filename,
the data of relevance is the letters and numbers, not the
capitalization.

There's no sane reason to have Readme.txt and README.TXT (or
PayData01.ODT and PAYdata01.odt) as two different files in the same
dir. Unless user confusion is part of an OS design goal. ;)

Anyway, letś say we agree to disagree on this... I figure I can't go
against the wave of *nix design dogmas and its believers.

I only wished that when I enter "yum install some-package" it would
install it anyway regardless of wether I forgot to capitalize the P in
Package...

Or at least offer the option: "Did you mean "CorrectLyCapItAliZEdName" ? (y/n)@

"Human-friendly computing"... unix fundamentalists have heard of it...
;-)

FC