Slapd starting slowly

I recently set up an Amahi-based file server using F12 and I configured it
to run as a PDC with Samba and OpenLDAP.  It had been running very smoothly
until just tonight when I discovered when I tried to restart the slapd
service it would just sit there for a few minutes.  After it did start I
looked in /var/log/messages to see if I could glean some clues; it seems as
part of "service slapd start" the system would request information from
slapd in order to restart slapd.  Seems pretty circular to me...  I did not
note any type of success message when slapd finally did wake up from
suspended animation.

So my $64,000 questions are what is causing this and why is it rearing its
head now after running flawlessly for almost 2 months?

Thanks for clueing me in...

 - Joe