Re: Running ssh on unreserved ports

On Sunday 20 February 2011 22:13:16 Patrick Kobly wrote:
> On 2011-02-20, at 9:05 AM, "Alex" <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > Everything helps, but this is one that I wouldn't really rely on, in
> > case the log file format for ssh changed in some way, or the script
> > died and it wasn't noticed.

From the Fail2ban main page:

Fail2ban scans log files like /var/log/pwdfail or /var/log/apache/error_log
and bans IP that makes too many password failures. It updates firewall rules
to reject the IP address.

Brute force attacks are stopped in their tracks.  You configure how many
consecutive failures are allowed before blocking occurs.  We all occasionally
mis-type a password or use the wrong password, but normally we only do that
once, so three or four consecutive failures are very suspect.

Anne