Re: Qn about rsnapshot/rsync directory filter rules

On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 14:11 -0800, suvayu ali wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to setup my backups using rsnapshot. I have a rather large
> and frequently changing /home/<user>/ that I want to backup. I don't
> want to backup the frequently changing directories (e.g. my downalods
> directory or temporary work directory). In other words I wanted to
> rsnapshot to backup _only_ the directories/files explicitly specified
> and skip everythign else.
>
> So I created a file ~/.rsync-filter with include rules like these,
>
> include_/.config/**
> include_/dir1/**
> include_/.gitconfig
> include_/.gitignore
> include_/.gitk
> include_/dir2/**
>
> Now say I have other files and direcotries like,
>
> ~/.oldconfig/
> ~/dir2_i_dont_want/
> ~/dir3_i_dont_want/
>
> Calling rsync with -F works but it also backs up the other unwanted
> directory and files. How do I exclude them? The problem is I can't write
> explicit exclude rules as that would need to be updated every time
> something new is created (as I want rsnapshot to _not_ backup anything
> by default).
>
> I tried exclude_/* at the end of the filter rules, that made rsnapshot
> skip the explicitly mentioned includes like,
>
> include_/dir1/**
> include_/dir2/**
>
> The hidden files were backed up just fine though. Any ways of doing what
> I want?

I have the following rule in my /etc/rsnapshot.conf:

exclude_file    /etc/rsnapshot-exclude

where /etc/rsnapshot-exclude contains the following:

.adobe/
.alexandria/
.amaya/
.bittorrent/
.cddb/
.claws-mail/tagsdb/
.cpan/
.dbus/
.gcjwebplugin/
.macromedia/Flash_Player/
.opera/cache4/
.thumbnails/
.waf-*/
.xine/skins/
.gvfs/
.cache/
.ccache/
[Cc]ache/
ccache/
.nautilus/
SVN/
.local/share/evolution
.claws-mail/imapcache
.thunderbird/**/ImapMail
.miro/icon-cache/
.wine/drive_c/windows/temp/
.VirtualBox/
*.o
*.flv
*.mpg
*.mov
*.torrent

There's probably some redundancy there (e.g. I forget why I have cache/
and [Cc]ache/) but it seems to work.

poc