Re: trying to add a wireless driver -live spin

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Joshua Andrews <woodguy552010@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> I got it going with 'uname -r' found the kernel and down loaded rpms from
> rpmfusion.
>
> Now if I can figure out the persistent overlay and write a script to install
> everything  when I boot the drive.
>
> I'm not sure if I have to mount the overlay or what.
>
> running from live spin now -- had to install firefox to check yahoo. it'll
> be gone next time I boot also.

If you successfully setup an overlay file then it should be used
automatically at least in my experience.

Richard

Once you login to your USB spin, su to root  (should need no password)

Below is an example from Knoppix live CD:

dd if=/dev/zero  of=/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img bs=1024k count=1024
          Change the value of count to reflect however much persistent storage you would like
          if you USB stick has space available for it.
mke2fs -m 0 -F /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img

The ram based root file system on you USB might have a different mount point
such as
/mnt/sysimage

I am not sure of what the directory path should be for a Fedora live's  persistent storage,
so I offer only an example below:

mkdir /mnt/sysimage/persist

dd if=/dev/zero  of=/mnt/sysimage/persist/data.img bs=1024k count=1024

mke2fs -m 0 -F /mnt/sysimage/persist/data.img

Next time you reboot, every time you modify something in /etc or /home in
the memory based file system, it will be automatically reflected in the persistent storage.

Good luck,

JD