Re: WiFi: why not a diagram showing access points?

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 13:43 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Just to keep the story up-to-date,
> a third modem/router from TI (Telecom Italia)
> seems to have solved the problem completely;
> the connection has held up for a day so far.
>
> The history is a little puzzling to me.
> The connection worked perfectly for a couple of years,
> until last December when it suddenly stopped completely.
> A technician came round (a very rare event)
> and tested the line.
> He said the line was fine and told me to change the modem
> at a TI agent in a neighbouring town.

And had anything else changed in your system at that time?

A friend of mine would consistently lose connection every time he
started burning a DVD.

I would lose connection whenever I had a USB hard drive plugged in.  It
had one of those crappy power boxes in the middle of a cord, and it just
radiated crud.  I could cause the fault to happen with 100% reliability,
just by having the drive plugged into a computer.

e.g. Take a computer system off the network, just plug the PC into the
mains, a monitor into the PC (and the mains), and the USB drive into the
PC (and it's power brick into the mains).  The OS didn't even have to be
booted.  The moment the connection was made, or the power turned on, the
modem would disconnect.  And continuously fail while trying to
reconnect.  This test computer wasn't connected to anything else, and
the fault would occur no matter where I plugged into into power in the
house.  Yes, all the gear was earthed (PC, monitor, and USB drive all
had equipment ground going to mains earth), and the mains earth line is
working.

I could even do it by plugging the USB drive into a laptop running off
batteries, so the USB drive was the only thing connected to the mains,
in any way.

I'm rather loathsome of switchmode power supplies being put into
everything, these days, especially where they're not really needed.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.