Re: Where can I find a functional nslookup?

Once upon a time, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> said:
> Asking where to find source for A and getting pointers to B is like asking where
> to get Italian food and being pointed to a Mexican restaurant.

In this case, it is more like asking for the blacksmith for your horse
in downtown $BIGCITY and being pointed to the car dealer.

> AIX users are no different than Windows or Solaris users, some confuse
> preference with religion. And the claim that changing scripts to use dig will
> take a bit of time appear justified, one programmer said dig was the "most
> obscurest crap" since he learned APL.

It is different from nslookup, but it is hardly obscure (and I've
written APL as well).  Don't like all the debugging info (on by default
since both nslookup and dig are intended as debugging tools)?  Turn it
off with +short.  Frankly, if you can't read dig output, you probably
shouldn't be touching DNS servers.

> I may be able to get the AIX source, possibilities abound.

You keep actiing like Fedora (or Linux in general) is intentionally
breaking the ancient program, but the truth is that AIX is running an
ancient resolver library.  The rest of the world moved on a long time
ago; I recently turned off my last Tru64 Unix server, but I think DEC
switched to the newer resolver and nslookup/dig in Tru64 5.1, and that
was released in 2000 IIRC.

Has AIX never deprecated a command before?

You should be able find the ancient nslookup source at isc.org (I think
you'll have to go all the way back to the BIND 4 source).  I don't think
it will work with a modern resolver library though, and it won't work
with EDNS, DNSSEC, various RR types, and IIRC DNS over TCP in some
cases.  nslookup wasn't deprecated just to change things; it is
terminally broken code.

It'd probably be easier to write a wrapper for dig that looks like
nslookup.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>