Re: backing up shadow files with rsync?

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 11:50 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:00:13 -0430
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > I'd just like to put in a word for rsnapshot, which has similar
> > properties.
>
> Heck, I just use rsync with the --backup and --backup-dir options.

Rsnapshot is just a useful front-end to rsync. It keeps snapshots of an
entire tree ordered by backup generation (using hard links to avoid
duplicating files). This is similar to Apple's Time Machine, except that
it doesn't hard-link to directories for obvious reasons (Apple changed
the filesystem to allow such links in this specific application). And of
course it doesn't preserve the original hard link count of files if it's
different from 1. Whatever floats your boat.

poc