Re: WiFi: why not a diagram showing access points?

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 14:33 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 02/15/2011 02:04 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > I'm having terrible problems with my modem/router at the moment.
> > The WiFi connection on my Thinkpad laptop drops every 10 minutes or so.
> > I have to restart the network service to get the connection back.
>
> Everything you've written tells me that this isn't a Fedora problem or
> even a problem with your laptop.  If, as you say, the password your ISP
> gave you for your new modem doesn't work, it's their problem.  Talk to
> them again and, if all else fails, insist on getting that modem replaced
> with one that works.  (From what you write, it was defective "out of the
> box," making this a warranty issue, and they shouldn't charge you for
> replacement.)

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a password problem,
especially as Timothy didn't say it was. A marginal Wifi signal can
cause connections to drop. I recently has a similar situation and fixed
it (touch wood) by fiddling with the signal settings in the router, e.g.
changing the channel to avoid interference with a cordless phone, using
802.11g instead of 802.11n etc. There's a lot of black magic associated
with Wifi.

poc