Re: [Bulk] Re: gnote -- Am I the only one ?

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 09:03 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > gnote does not copy and paste within gnote the same way as every other
> > Linux program.  I use gnote a lot.  I can't select a phrase or whatever
> > move the cursor to the spot were I want to paste a copy of the phrase
> > and click the middle mouse button to paste in a copy of the selected
> > phrase.  gnote won't do it.  I have been using Fedora and Linux for over
> > 7 years; it is now an intuitive or ingrained habit; a signature of
> > Linux.
> >
> > I can and do use the Linux mouse copy and paste for copying items and
> > phrases from outside gnote into gnote.  Why will it not work with text
> > within gnote?
> >
> > I filed a bug, got told that the way to do it in gnote was to click
> > where I wanted a phrase pasted, move to the phrase I wanted to copy,
> > select the phrase and then click the mouse middle button.  It is not the
> > way traditional Linux mouse copy and paste works.  Half the time it
> > doesn't work.  I have had a couple of gnote crashes.
> >
> > The response I got from the gnote maintainer was can't replicate, bug
> > complaint removed.  I have nothing special, or old, in my Fedora 14
> > setup or in my hardware.  In any case, the position, then select, then
> > middle button is not the Linux standard.
> >
> > Am I the only one with this annoyance? I write a lot of stuff in a day
> > -- gnote is a great aid and tool except for this.  I wish somebody would
> > fix it.
> >
> I think there is something funny there, but you need to find a way to show the
> problem every time, then refile a bug. If the maintainer can't see it s/he can't
> fix it.

I went back and re-tried using the Linux copy & paste.  I found the
following.  On my bigger writing programs like Write and Evolution
--compose the select and paste works the way I am used to.  On text
writing programs like gedit and gnote it doesn't.  I am using compiz
rather than metacity.  My guess now is that programs for writing that
have their own keyboard and mouse setup work as expected, but compiz is
somehow messing up the standard gnome mouse shortcuts.  I don't see
where but I will keep looking.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32