Re: Suggestion: Replace List by Newsgroup

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> You didn't mention bandwidth saving:  You download a list of headers,
>>> of what's become available since your last look, but you only
>>> download the actual body of message when you go to read it.
>
> Bill Davidsen:
>> "that's also possible with decent mail clients,"
>
> IMAP servers and clients are supposed to support it, but not all do.
> Even those that do can be tedious about it.  On an IMAP server on a LAN,
> I found it slower than NNTP through my ISP.  I suppose news software has
> had years of practice at coding that well.
>
> I've yet to find news servers and clients that don't do quick
> header-only fetching, and quick fetching of the body upon demand.
>
>>> Nor:  Never receive spam in your personal mail, since you don't have
>>> to expose your email address when posting to a news server.  Some
>>> servers will accept no address, others insist on one (but you can use
>>> a blackhole address that you don't check for mail).
>
>> There is so much spam in email that this is a dubious claim.
>
> Oh really???  For years I posted to usenet using an address something
> like nothing@localhost (I can't recall exactly what I used).  There was
> no way I could ever receive spam in my mail when I didn't expose a real
> address to usenet.

You misread what I said. I disagree that anything will cause you to "Never
receive spam in your personal mail," since any email address you actually use
seems to get leaked eventually anyway. You meant "use an email address you don't
read" I assume, such as user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, since that's correct use of the
.invalid domain, and generally won't get sent and bounced.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>