Re: Where can I find a functional nslookup?

Andy Blanchard wrote:

> Bill, I think you need to take a step back from the immediate problem
> and think about the long term.  It's never fun when a tool we use is
> EoL'd, but unless you plan on sticking with AIX and trust that it will
> continue to support their version of "nslookup", you may have some tough
> decisions to make.  If you can't find a suitable version of "nslookup"
> for Linux, then you may need to look at going the other way; getting
> "dig" and "hosts" onto your AIX boxes and starting to migrate your
> scripts over to the new tools.

This is Linux (from IBM) going into AIX, in an IBM shop. The chances of IBM
dropping AIX are remote (new major release out last year), and there are apps in
AIX which are not in Linux. So I think the chances are that I will die before
AIX usage does.

> Unfortunately, "dig" has a syntax that can be considerably more
> convoluted than the equivalent in "nslookup".  It is however worth the
> effort to learn the new way as the output from "dig" is generally much
> better suited to troubleshooting problems with DNS than "nslookup" ever was.

The problem I'm troubleshooting is that there is no budget for training people,
no budget for rewriting scripts, and a loud majority which feels that Linux is a
toy OS because it's not "real UNIX" based. That's management as well as workers.

I would really not like to fight this battle, I was hoping someone would answer
the question I asked instead of assuming that I meant "what can I use instead of
nslookup" which is not the problem. The issues are money, time, and office
politics, and I ran "yum clean obstructionists" but it didn't work.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>