Re: "why is my Linux so damn slow?"

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 06:13:38PM +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 10:52:37 AM -0600, Rick Sewill (rsewill@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > > http://freesoftware.zona-m.net/help-request-why-is-my-linux-so-damn-slow
> >
> > You have a very interesting problem.
>
> that's the same thing my wife usually tells herself when looking at me
> :-)
>
> > May I ask, what is the "purpose" of this system?  Is it a server?
>
> One reason it has so much memory is that it was my intention to also
> do some video editing with it (but I haven't gotten to that yet), and
> re-ordering, geotagging etc, lots of digital pictures. Another is that
> sometimes, I have to do lots of heavy perl- or shell processing on
> huge (hundreds of MBytes) amount of text in the background, so I
> wanted to be sure that this wouldn't slow me down while writing,

Hmm. I don't recall from the original posting, is this a 64-bit
version of LInux? If not, and if you have a LOT of RAM (and
assuming you're running a 32-bit PAE kernel) you could be running
into a shortage of memory in the lower 3 gigs where the kernel keeps
important data structures when doing PAE.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------