Re: Suggestion: Replace List by Newsgroup

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 22:11 +0100, Outway wrote:
>> I don't see in what way a mailing list is superior to a newsgroup. But I
>> do see several advantages of a newsgroup:
>>
>> * Clear thread structure (collapsable trees in standard news readers)
>
> Well, actually, that's also possible with decent mail clients.  Crappy
> ones can't, and postings from crappy ones disrupt the threading for
> everyone else (for news and email).
>
> You didn't mention bandwidth saving:  You download a list of headers, of
> what's become available since your last look, but you only download the
> actual body of message when you go to read it.  i.e. If there's 2,000
> messages one day, and you only want to read 2 of them, they're the only
> ones you'd fetch.

"that's also possible with decent mail clients," such as Seamonkey. I assume
also with Tbird, but I haven't used that since SM got RSS support and I can
track dozens of list with low interest to content ratios. Set to download
headers only.

> Nor:  Never receive spam in your personal mail, since you don't have to
> expose your email address when posting to a news server.  Some servers
> will accept no address, others insist on one (but you can use a
> blackhole address that you don't check for mail).

There is so much spam in email that this is a dubious claim. If you actually use
your mail, someone will leak it (by not using BCC on a mail) and you will get spam.

>> A newsgroup is no more complicated to set up from a reader point of view
>> than mailing list access. No exotic software is needed, the newsgroup
>> can also be web interfaced.

An Seamonkey supports "watched threads" for news, so you can use the "show
watched threads with new posts" mode if you are checking mail in limited time or
bandwidth.

> In the past it could be a bit of a pain, if you found that you needed to
> go to more than one news server for all of your groups.  But more
> clients are around that handle multiple news servers, and quite well.
>
> In general, I have preferred news to mailing lists, though it's been a
> long while since I bothered.

I actually ran my own server for a long time, and a mail to news gateway. I was
running news servers for a living then, so it wasn't much effort.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>