Re: "why is my Linux so damn slow?"

On Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:19:33 pm M. Fioretti wrote:
> besides hard drive and DVD burner there are only Logitech webcam,
> wheelmouse and earphone microphone, but everything is plugged in the
> back which is not really accessible without moving furniture. I'll do
> that if needed, but isn't a way to check for those interrupts from the
> prompt?

Let's see if iowaits are you issue.  Install the sysstat package (yum install sysstat) and run:
iostat -x 1

(this gives extended information on the disk, and updates at one second intervals)

The number to look at is 'await' times, expressed in milliseconds.  If those numbers are high, it's something with your drive.

Also, if you run 'top' what does it show?

I saw an F13 system brought to its knees due to a WD EADS series 'green' drive triggering insane awaits of multiple thousands of milliseconds, and system load averages in excess of 20.  The command that reliably triggered the behavior was a simple 'yum update' from the command line, or the automatic packagekit update process; load averages went through the roof, and the system slowed to a slow crawl.

Replaced the WD EADS series drive with a Seagate of the same capacity, and the problem went away.  Now, in this specific case, the EADS drive was one half of a RAID-1 mirror, where the other half was a Seagate; the EADS drives and RAID don't get along.  But others have reported performance issues with these drives not in a RAID configuration, with recent kernels; older kernels seemed to work better.

I'd check that even though the WD2500JS-41MVB1 drive is a 'Caviar Blue' and not a Green drive.