Re: "why is my Linux so damn slow?"

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 10:52:37 AM -0600, Rick Sewill (rsewill@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > http://freesoftware.zona-m.net/help-request-why-is-my-linux-so-damn-slow
>
> You have a very interesting problem.

that's the same thing my wife usually tells herself when looking at me
:-)

> May I ask, what is the "purpose" of this system?  Is it a server?

One reason it has so much memory is that it was my intention to also
do some video editing with it (but I haven't gotten to that yet), and
re-ordering, geotagging etc, lots of digital pictures. Another is that
sometimes, I have to do lots of heavy perl- or shell processing on
huge (hundreds of MBytes) amount of text in the background, so I
wanted to be sure that this wouldn't slow me down while writing,
etc.. Apart from that, this is an "office" computer. Most of the time,
the usage is what I already described in the article: web browsing,
openoffice, email... The only thing I forgot (sorry) to say there is
that sometimes there are other family members leaving their accounts
on with Firefox open. They reported the same problems, there's nothing
(so far) account-specific.

The firewall is the default FC14 config "no service accessible from
outside". output of iptables -L -v is pasted at the bottom. In
runlevel 3, things go fine, but I need GUIs here. Firefox IS one big
cause of the slowness. It would be interesting to know why the
magnitude of the problem increased so much upgrading to FC 14. Turning
networking off in runlevel 5 (service network stop) doesn't seem to
make a difference, in and by itself.

Oh, and when I said "the system is slow even if firefox isn't running"
I meant that I *had* run "killall firefox". I think between this and
other earlier messages I have already answered all questions from
Rick. If not, please be patient and remember me.

Thanks again, folks!

Marco

[root@polaris ~]# iptables -L -v
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
 111K   93M ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
    5   300 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp dpt:https
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp dpt:ssh
   68 10917 REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
    0     0 REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 111K packets, 20M bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination