Re: "why is my Linux so damn slow?"

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 16:31:58 PM +0200, Adrian Sevcenco
(Adrian.Sevcenco@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> > when I upgraded from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14, about twenty days
> > ago, the system (which wasn't doing really well even before the
> > upgrade) became almost unusable. The problem is, very likely,
> > upstream of

> IMHO, first step is a clean install ... and afterwards you can
> investigate whats going on because you are on a known, stable
> grounds.

Adrian,

I understand the rationale for this suggestion. The reason why I
haven't done this (yet) is that (see above and in the article) I
already had ALL the same problems, just a bit smaller, with FC12,
which was a clean install, with all updates applied etc etc.

In other words, the situation with FC12 was just barely tolerable,
with the upgrade it simply degraded more.

I am trying to gather as much info as possible to understand what is
the fastest, or at least "more likely to succeed with the smallest
number of reinstalls" way forward. For sure, I can't go on like this,
and I will be forced to reformat/reinstall from scratch if I don't
find a solution.

But at that point, I'll directly try another distro first, simply
because my feeling right now is that a clean install of FC14 (or 15)
wouldn't do much. One of the reasons why I took the time to make an
article online about this is the hope to find somebody that says "hey,
I have the same hardware as you, and it runs real fast with distro
XYZ"

Marco