"why is my Linux so damn slow?"

Greetings,

when I upgraded from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14, about twenty days ago,
the system (which wasn't doing really well even before the upgrade)
became almost unusable. The problem is, very likely, upstream of
Fedora, but I would like to understand where exactly is and if/how
Fedora in some way amplifies it. I've posted all details here:

http://freesoftware.zona-m.net/help-request-why-is-my-linux-so-damn-slow

TIA,
Marco