Re: perl on fedora?

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 12:55:52 -0800
Mike Wright <mike.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Very confused here.
>
> I'm trying to install a perl module without any luck.  Isn't this
> stuff supposed to work out of the gate?  Is there some sort of
> fedora / yum way to to this?  Basic instructions for perl either
> return nothing or a failure message.
...snip...

Well, what module are you trying to install?

I would suggest:

1. Check to see if it's already packaged in Fedora:

yum list perl-Whatever
or
yum provides 'perl(whatever::whatever)'

If it is, just yum install it.

2. If it's not packaged already:

yum install cpan2rpm
'man cpan2rpm' to find all the options, but:

cpan2rpm Proc::Daemon /tmp/String-Canonical-1.2.tar.gz

should produce a rpm you can install with 'yum installl ./whatever.rpm'

Hope that helps,

kevin