Re: Which Linux to use with a Mac?

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All:
>
> I am looking at installing Linux on a very old piece of hardware.  I've
> tried FC12/13/14 but the screen is 'messed up' and it only has 384MB of
> RAM.

As far as my understanding goes, there are two kinds of old macs. The
older of the two is probably not supported by any major distribution.
However the newer among the two are supported by any distribution with
ppc support. Earlier Fedora releases used to support them (up to F10 I
think). But for ppc support I think Yellow Dog is more preferred over
older Fedora.

>  Also, I now have a brand new, shiny MacBookPro.  Any ideas on what
> to install on it as far as Linux.  I'm trying to stay away from the
> Linux distribution that starts and ends with U as my first experience
> was not pleasant.  I would like to stay with the RH family, if possible.

The newer Macs are regular x86, so the standard distributions should
work. However I think I have heard issues with how Macs deal with
BIOSes. I think they use something called EFI, not sure though.

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with any of the above, it is
all hearsay.

> James McKenzie

If things work out, maybe you could publish your notes. Might be helpful
to others trying to achieve the same goal. Maybe a page on the Fedora
wiki ... GL.

--
Suvayu