Re: Hardware for Gnome3

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 6:20 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 02/06/2011 09:02 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
>>> For example I would like to have an
>>> icon to execute nightly versions of Thunderbird from an icon that
>>> would be added to the dash - is that possible in Gnome3?
>>
>> I don't know much about Gnome3, but I presume you'd do that the same way
>> as you do now: right-click on the Desktop, select Create Launcher, and
>> select the binary you want run.
>
> OK - I will be running another test later - I will try that along the
> way and see if it works!

I had a look at gnome-shell-list - seems that is not possible!  One
answer was "There is no UI for it in GNOME Shell, but if you add/edit
launchers in
Alacarte (the GNOME 2 menu editor), Shell will pick it up."  and
another....  "If you create a launcher on your desktop and copy it to
the hidden
.local/share/applications folder inside your home directory (Crtl-H)
they should get picked up"

There was a long thread about this very issue and it seems that the
provision to make a simple launcher will not be there unless things
have changed since about a month ago - and in addition there was
another longish thread about the provision of equivalent functionality
to applets which will not initially be in gnome3 but may (!) be added
later as extensions. So a weather notification that we are familiar
with on the taskbar will not be permanently visible in gnome3 - but
there may be some weather  information available for access via the
calendar or similar - the is significantly different to what we have
been used to in gnome 2!   There is some overview information at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/ and
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design

Since gnome3 will be the default desktop for us at the next release I
felt it was pretty important to try and understand what it will and
will not do, and test it now that it is starting to become functional
in rawhide.

--
mike c