Re: Upgrade FC11->14

On Sat, 2011-02-05 at 09:54 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I have a laptop running fc11, with the non-boot partition encrypted
> LUKS. Based on one bad experience with another system, and one fail
> with a VM, just booting the DVD and asking it to upgrade is not the
> way to a working system. While I can certainly backup /home and
> reinstall, there are a fair number of tweaks and I'd rather not.

In the past I've tried upgrading, and fresh installs.  Now I'll only do
fresh installs.

With a fresh install, it usually just works.  But if it doesn't, the
problem's due to itself.  You don't have to try and sort out what
old/new compatibility happened.  There was nearly always something that
screwed up during an upgrade.

An upgrade takes ages.  It's got to assess what you've got, work out the
dependencies, etc.  Then multiply that by having to do multiple updates,
to work through several releases.  And you'll still have to do
post-install tweaks.

An install can take as little as 15 minutes.  Copying a few
backed-up /etc files over, afterwards, doesn't take long.  Nor does
going through a carefully controlled manual update of some /etc files
take as long as all the time involved in upgrading an OS.

Over the years I've seen endless threads about people trying to resolve
a screwed up upgrade, that was far more difficult to figure out than
getting a fresh install up and running.  And it, very obviously, took a
hell of a lot longer to complete:  Several days, if not weeks.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.