RE: Advanced format drives with block errors

> One of these drives had a faulty block which the drive had not been able
to automatically relocate.

Just curious, what's the reallocated sector count for the drive? And how
many bad sectors do you feel comfortable with?

I used to live with drives with a low reallocated sector count, but I
recently noticed a problem: when a drive develops a new bad sector it can
cause one of two things to happen to a server:

1) if the drive is part of a 3ware raid5 array, it is dropped by the
controller, causing a degraded array.

2) if the drive is connected directly to the motherboard's onboard sata
ports, it causes the system to hang for a period of time. Completely
unresponsive.

So now I change the drive if a drive's reallocated sector count is greater
than zero.

By the way, I hear the WD green drives spin down after a period of time with
no access. Is this a problem for you?