Re: Installation Impressions

I don't know about your other issues, but I'll try to answer the ones below.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Alright, so I'll do without swap for now. Next thing the installer
> complains that I cannot put my root partition into LVM2. This works just
> fine with Grub2, and isn't Fedora supposed to be cutting edge? Anyway,
> so I try to create a primary /boot partition instead.

Fedora uses a patched version of GRUB Legacy. It can read / partitions
on LVM but the /boot partition still needs to be ext* on disk.

> There is 128 MB of free space. I tell the installer to use all the space
> that's available. It claims that there is not enough space left.

In Fedora we use an application called preupgrade for distro upgrades.
During those upgrades the installer downloads the new kernel images to
/boot before the upgrade is performed. On previous versions there has
been problems where the /boot was not large enough and upgrades failed.
So from F12 the recommended /boot size is 500MB to avoid such issues.

> At this point I just got too annoyed. Am I just extremely unlucky or is
> a Fedora installation always that painful?

I hope I answered a few of your issues.

--
Suvayu