Re: Fedora 14: Shutdown problem

On 02/04/2011 12:21 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 20:47 +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>> There is no need for NetworkManager in a home network anyway, it
>> just adds complications, gets in the way and consumes resources.
>
> Maybe on *your* home network.  But it's good for mine, and when I take
> the laptop around to visit other places.  I just connect to it, be it
> wireless or ethernet.  I don't have to fiddle around with reconfiguring
> the network for each one.

True, for Laptops NetworkManager is good. And as I said on my Laptop I do
have a separate init script that automatically chooses to use NetworkManager or
network depending on where I am (does a iwlist | grep on the WiFi).

However, in my case, at home most of my systems are desktops, settop boxes,
kitchen radios etc and don't have WiFi just hard wired Ethernet and they all,
including the laptop, have /home and /data mounted with NFS and use NIS, NTPD
etc. They all run from a local Linux server. So all the users and other data,
videos, music, documents etc are on the server, the PC's just have OS and anyone
can log in from anywhere.

I did try to use NetworkManager for this, but it had problems with NFS, NIS and
sleeping and in the end I could not use it (there are a few bug reports in
BugZilla which I suspect are still there).