Re: Fedora 14: Shutdown problem

On 02/01/2011 06:30 PM, JB wrote:
> Terry Barnaby<terry1<at>  beam.ltd.uk>  writes:

>> Note I am using the "network" not "NetworkManager" service. The NetworkManager
>> service does not work well for me with systems using networked /home and
>> other file systems.
>
> Looks like the reason for this is:
>
> # ls /etc/rc0.d/*
> S00killall
> S01halt
>
> # cat /etc/rc0.d/S00killall
>          # Networking could be needed for NFS root.
>          [ $subsys = network ]&&  continue
>
> The NetworkManager is set in
> /var/lock/subsys/NetworkManager
> but it is not skipped as well, so the network is brought down.
>
> Next, the halt script is executed that will try to unmount external fs shares
> (e.g. nfs), and of course will fail.
>
> The fix:
>          # Networking could be needed for NFS root.
>          [ $subsys = NetworkManager ]&&  continue
>
> Will that make you use NetworkManager now ? :-)
>
> JB

No, it won't make me use Networkmanager !

I am not using NFS root, only /home, /data. When I used NetworkManager
it had problems on my laptop and desktop PC's when going to and coming
out of sleep with the NFS mounts. I can't remember the exact details, but it
was thought to be insolvable at the time.
There is no need for NetworkManager in a home network anyway, it
just adds complications, gets in the way and consumes resources.

I do use it on my laptop when roaming however, to allow easy access
to WiFi networks.

Cheers

Terry