Re: mplayer doesn't like me again

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

>> According to the box, it's a Vision Tek Radeon HD3650.
>
> RV635 PRO chipset. PCIE x16 and AGP bus interfaces.  How much video RAM?
> 256?  512?  1024?  The man page for radeon doesn't explicitly mention

I think 512 MB, but I'm not sure.
I don't have the box anymore.
Is there a way to ask?

> your model number, but it does claim to support your chipset.
>
> Have you read the man page radeon(4)?  It lists all the options.
> Perhaps playing with some of them will improve your performance.

When I get home, I'll check the man pages there.
Googling for radeon man pages, I only found
radeonhd that claimed to support HD3650.
The last time I had problems,
'Twas recommended that I not use radeonhd,
either because it didn't work or because
it had been absorbed into radeon.

>>> Let's concentrate on mplayer.  Does it work any better if you specify
>>> "-vo xv" or "-vo xvidix"?
>>
>>> From the command line I tried
>> xv: DRI failure, pixelation
>
> That would suggest either a bad video card, or the support for your card
> is not (yet) complete in the radeon driver.  Have you tried a more
> recent video driver?

I don't know how for sure.
If it involves installing an RPM, I'll try to figure out the name tonight.

> I haven't asked yet, what version of fedora, and what version of
> xorg_x11_drv_ati?  I'm running F14 w/

FC 13.
I'll check xorg_x11_drv_ati when I get home.

> xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.13.1-0.3.20100705git37b348059.fc14.x86_64
>
>> gl_nosw: pixelation, but no DRI failure message
>> dga: mess
>> fbdev: cannot open /dev/fb, no  video
>> xvidix: pci errors, no video
>> x11: DRI failure, pixelation
>
> Without some sort of hardware support, 3D is going to require a really
> fast CPU.  What is the processor in your system?  32 or 64 bit?  Any
> idea what the system bus is running at?  My laptop has an Intel Core2
> T7200 @ 2.0GHz.  With my video card, HD is iffy at best (playing a local

3.2 GHz pentium 4, 32 bits, with 4 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.