Re: mplayer doesn't like me again

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> On 01/31/2011 11:50 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> It doesn't  tell me my computer is too slow,
>> it just gives me a rather pixelated image.
>> People look like there made of burlap.
>>
>> The output from mplayer has two things
>> that look like error messages to me.
>>
>>> Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared
>>> object file: No such file or directory
>>> [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
>>
>> and
>>
>>> [VD_FFMPEG] DRI failure.0.051 ct: -0.030   0/  0 ??% ??% ??,?% 0 0
>>
>> I don't even know why it looks for VDPAU.
>> I have a GeForce card.
>
> That depends on *which* GeForce card you have.  vdpau will only help you
> if you have a GeForce 6 series card or later *and* are running with the
> nvidia driver.  The more later, the more it can help you.  If you are
> using nouveau or nv, you can't benefit from vdpau support.

Arrrg.
I remembered that I didn't have nvidia,
but I remembered the wrong name.
I'm on my third video card.
The first was a radeon.
After I zapped that one, I had it replaced with
an nvidia card because it had AGP and I could find it.
Having cooked or otherwise damaged that one,
I replaced it with a VisionTek Radeon HD 3650.
Again was the AGP card I could find.
I suspect that a Radeon wouldn't play well with a *nvidia.so .

>> Presumably things would go badly if it found libvdpau_nvidia.so .
>>
>> Once upon a time, I  knew what DRI failure meant,
>> but I've forgotten and googling turns up questions but no answers.
>
> DRI = Direct Rendering Infrastructure.  It is the main support for 3D
> acceleration in X11 these days.  In the video world, DRM is the Direct
> Rendering Manager.  Wikipedia is your friend.
>
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log includes, among other things:
>>
>>> [ 86356.565] Dac detection success
>>> [ 86356.565] (II) RADEON(0): Output: DVI-0, Detected Monitor Type: 0
>>> [ 86356.565] Unhandled monitor type 0
>>> [ 86356.565] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output DVI-0
>
> Whoa!  This looks like you have a Radeon card of some sort.  Radeon is
> made by AMD these days (used to be ATI).  GeForce is made by nVidia.

Yup.
As noted above, I remembered the wrong name.
By the time I got around to posting a message,
my brain was too scrambled to take the hint.

>> from mplayer -V, the last lineis
>>
>>> vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not initialized..
>
> Yeah, I get this message from both my laptop and my desktop.  The former
> has an ATI chipset, the latter an nVidia one.
>
> What is in your /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file?  It should show the vo
> options it will try and use.  Mine uses:
>
> vo=xv,xvidix,

I'm at work, so I don't know for sure,
Somewhere I think a saw a statement that mplayer would use a built-in list.
The list was not specified.

> and I don't have those problems....  The man page for mplayer for video
> output options.  You can override by using the -vo command line option.
> See what works best for you.
>
>> Any ideas?

Thank you for your help and your patience.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.