Re: outout format of time command

On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 04:13:20 am Adel ESSAFI wrote:
> Hello,
> I have  followed the man page of  time commande to put a certain output
> format.
> However, time command does not recognise -f  option.
>
> Could you help please.
>

> [adel@localhost generateInstance]$ time -f "%e" ls
> bash: -f: command not found

There are two separate time commands.

One is a bash built-in.
To set the format for this time, please set the environment variable,
TIMEFORMAT.  Please do "info bash" and search for TIMEFORMAT.

The other is the time command described by "man time".
To use this time command, please do $(which time) -f "%e" ls
On my system, $(which time) happens to be /usr/bin/time
so I can also do /usr/bin/time -f "%e" ls