Re: Problem with NetworkManager (self-inflicted)

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Harish Pillay <harish.pillay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It all started with Puppy Linux 5.2.  I setup a LiveCD and jumped in to get
> familiar with it.  I had some trouble with connectivity.  I eventually got
> around to trying my linksys Wireless-G dongle.  This showed some promise
> although I was unable to find the correct Puppy driver for the dongle and
> eventually removed the Wireless-G and shelved that project.   Later on, I
> tried to log on with Fedora and found that NetworkManager was now unusable.
> Okay, after fiddling around with it for a while, I did a complete reinstall
> of Fedora (including reformatting the disk) and low-and-behold
> NetworkManager still doesn't work. I would have thought the Fedora reinstall
> would have installed the correct driver but apparently it didn't.  I am able
> to send this because I have plugged the Wireless-G back in. (aargh!)   Has
> anyone ever seen this sort of thing?

Actually, the easier way is to do the following:

yum reinstall NetworkManager*

and it will replace the existing NetworkManager.

I actually don't understand the issue you are facing.  Your machine has
some OS installed in the harddisk or are you working entirely off of a
liveCD?

Harish

Actually, I think it's a hardware problem with the Dlink PCI wireless card.  Reinstalling NetworkManager was the first thing I tried. I've done two cold reinstalls with the same results.  The Puppy Linux is a live CD. By now, there are no remaining traces on the Puppy Linux. I'm going to remove the Dlink card and have a look at it.  Once in a blue moon, even reseating a card makes a difference.  I don't believe it's a Fedora problem because on both the reinstalls the Wireless-G USB dongle works just fine.  To me, it's just gotta be a hardware problem.  I expect to fix it today.  Will keep you updated.