Help coming up to speed

Sorry for the length:-) I have used RedHat/Fedora since the company
started. But for the last few years (since F9) I have been doing
science. I tried to install F14 and found many changes. Much of what one
used accomplish by editing configuration files is now done using GUIs
under Gnome.

I would like to know how the system works at the configuration file
level. What are the switches that can be included on the kernel command
line? Is there any way to control Plymouth so that the commands are
visible and one drops to a login prompt at the end? What is upstart
calling and what files does it modify? When one configures a dual head
display under gnome, what tools are used and what files are modified?
What auto configurations are controlled by HAL and udev and whatever?

Is there a document or book that can purchased/downloaded that explains
what is going on under the covers? I have found fragments via Google.
The software development I preform does not lend itself well to the
desktop environment. Most of my work is done from the command line
and/or under emacs. I currently use fvwm2 with a 6X6 grid of desktops.

If this query is not appropriate for this list, please suggest the
alternative.

Thanks,
don