Re: OT: bash question

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:32:24 -0800,
>   Mike Wright <mike.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Not sure where to find the answer to this question.  Google wasn't
>> helpful.  The users on this list are a great repository of knowledge so
>> I thought to try here.
>>
>> Is there a bash command that tells an executing script what *its* path
>> is?  Not the path where the user is but where the script is.  If not
>> that then a series of commands that yield the same result?  Maybe some
>> way of using 'ps'?
>>
>> Has me stumped and my dog-eared "UNIX in a Nutshell" hasn't exposed the
>> goodies either ;)
>
> What is the high level purpose for wanting this information? There may be
> other ways to solve that problem.

Awesome, Bruno, thanks for responding.

I'm trying to create a self-contained app in that it is both a data
repository and also the location of its binary (BIN/runme, DATA/) so
that the application could be installed anywhere in user space and still
be able to find itself.  A link in /usr/local/bin (wherever) would point
to the install location.

Ideas?

Mike