Re: Dual wireless access points and connection from f14?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Genes MailLists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   1) "overlapping AP coverage"
>
>       They are on different frequencies - so there is no overlap.
>
>   2) recommending a high power AP is not really appropriate (in fact 300
>  mW may well be illegal in some places) - this more avoids the problem
>  than addressees the issue.
>
>   The discussion is about setting up multiple AP's on same SSID
>  (roaming) - this is quite common and in broad use in many enterprise
> arenas.

Precisely.  Although putting in place a unit with higher output power
may force a decent signal into previously poor reception areas there
is a limit as to how far this approach could go (especially in a
really big building) - and in any event where I am at work there are
at least 8 APs in my own building all with the same ssid and
encryption (in that case it is enterprise of course) and so far the
discussion has avoided tackling the roaming issue head on.  Of course
I should be able to take my own wireless enabled laptop to work and be
able to roam the building and have seamless wireless if I need to -
the clear and unambiguous issue is that the way NetworkManager
currently works with its present connection priority logic roaming
would not happen seamlessly if I was running F14 - and in fact this
problem has persisted through earlier versions of Fedora as far back
as I can remember (probably from the inception of NM as the principle
connection manager in Gnome.)

It is possible that this is a design fault upstream in NetworkManager,
and I can understand that Fedora developers may wash their hands of
this issue citing this as an upstream design problem and saying file a
BZ upstream and it will get into Fedora when the problem is fixed in a
later version.

In fact I put this to the NetworkManager list a few weeks ago without
much progress -
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2011-January/msg00028.html

It would be nice if this could be taken up and worked to a good solution.

--
mike c