Re: Installing Libreoffice from Rawhide

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Chris Smart <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 12:49 AM, Jim <binarynut@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Why wouldn't they put that libreoffice3.3-redhat-menus in with the rest
>> of the RPM's and install all at once ?
>>

> Could be because they conflict with each other (and aren't required)?

They seem to be just the .desktop files to integrate into the
different distros so they are largely redundant. You would only want
to install the one that installed the .desktop files into the places
where your distro is likely to look for them.

I was under the impression that years ago, everyone came together
under the Freedesktop standard for this sort of thing. That was why I
installed the libreoffice3.3-freedesktop-menus rpm. That seemed to
work fine with Fedora 14 and I haven't run into any issues yet.

I just looked in the redhat-menus rpm with the archive manager and see
that there are extra directories getting installed with that package
... specifically /usr/share/mime-info, /usr/share/mimelnk,
/usr/share/applnk-redhat and /usr/share/application-registry. I looked
on my systems and very few applications have installed anything in
those menus ... glabels mainly ... and my system doesn't even *have*
applnk-redhat.

My question is: what kind of functionality (if any) am I missing if I
don't have the files included in those directories installed for
LibreOffice?

/Mike