deltarpm with old RPM packages

Hello all..

We have some RPM packages which have been built on a system with RPM
version 4.4.2.3 and are being installed on F14 based systems with
4.8.1..  We are creating the delta RPM packages on the F14 system with
makedeltarpm 3.6.

So package foo version 1 installs on the F14 systems just fine.  But
when running applydeltarpm with the drpm created against foo version 2,
we get "md5 mismatch of result" errors.

I'm guessing this is an issue with the fact that the RPM packages are
being built with an older version of RPM?  If that's the case, is there
any way around this problem?

Thanks in advance...Paul...

--
---