Re: yum vs. rpm to install occasional products

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I recently installed Oracle-XE using yum --nogpgcheck localinstall
> oracle...rpm. No problem except that I screwed up the configuration. My
> coworker told me that I should use rpm(8) because the installation
> manual specified it rather than yum(8). My question is that is there any
> specific advantage using yum(8) over rpm(8).

Nope. No real differences except that Jon pointed out. Also,
localinstall isn't necessary anymore. Just type good ole' install and
point it to a local file and it works fine.

If you think you'll be installing an RPM on a regular basis it's very
easy to setup a local repository. I did this for some packages I built
myself as well as all the packages from the F14 install DVD and it
made it very easy to install on all my home computers. That way if you
get an updated RPM you can put it in your repo and it should get
picked up on your next update.

I even setup NFS on the computer I host the local repo on so now all
the other computers just see it as another repository.

Richard