Re: OpenOffice Writer

Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf <at> cha.forthnet.gr> writes:

> >  Tell us how you start your OO Writer when you get the error ?
>
> In any way i try to run it . For  example if i download a document through
> firefox and then ask it to open the file then Writer will crash .

Leave this case for later.

> Mainly i would
> be worried about the fact that when i do the following Writer crashes
>
> I start by pressing the f  ( on the lower left corner  ( yes by the way
> it is the KDE desktop ) ) then i move on to the Applications tab then
> to Office then to OpenOffice.org and finally to Writer .

I undestand this will crash sometimes. I will come back to it in next post.

> >What desktop are you on: GNOME, KDE, etc ?
>
> Am using KDE ( perhaps this will be of assistance
> kdebase-4.5.5-1.fc14.x86_64 )
> The command that get´s executed is
>
> openoffice.org -writer %U ( from the Panel )

This is OK.
Btw, I am in GNOME desktop, but I see you can find things I asked for in KDE.

> The bogus thing here is that for some reason today for example i can use
> Writer , tomorrow after some updates
> i can´t and then again after some more updates i will probably be able
> to use Writer again .  Now Writer seems
> to be working normally .

Do this to update and clean up your machine:
# yum distro-sync

If you can, reboot your machine (this will restart your desktop as well) to
reinitialize various dynamic libraries paths, etc.

> On a sidenote here , although it is quite irrelevant i have to add that
> i did an
>
> "rpmdb --rebuild" last night after your last email since i was under the
> impression that something wasn´t going all that
> well with the rpm database .

That's fine.

> Anyway could u please remind me the command in order to see the last
> updates ?

# ls -al /var/log/yum*
# less /var/log/yum

JB