Re: OpenOffice Writer

Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf <at> cha.forthnet.gr> writes:

> On 29/01/2011 11:04 μμ, JB wrote:
> >  Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf <at> cha.forthnet.gr> writes:
> >

> > > Greetings ,
> > >
> > > Lately i have been having a lot of issues running the Word
> > > Processor of OpenOffice . It just seem to crash a bit after i try
> > > to execute it without a message or something . ...
> >
> >  try this first (as root):
>
> # yum check
>
> I did and guess what ? i got what seems to be an error of something like
> that
>
> [root <at> Orion ~]# yum check
> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Adding el_GR to language list
> suck-4.3.2-31.fc14.x86_64 has installed conflicts leafnode:
> leafnode-1.11.7-4.fc12.x86_64
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> what is this story about ?
>
> Error: check all
>
> Now trying the check all thing
>
> [root <at> Orion ~]# yum check all
> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Adding el_GR to language list
> suck-4.3.2-31.fc14.x86_64 has installed conflicts leafnode:
> leafnode-1.11.7-4.fc12.x86_64
> Error: check ['all']

This is not related to OpenOffice. You can fix that later.
You can get some clue with these:
$ man package-cleanup
# package-cleanup --orphans
# package-cleanup --problems
# package-cleanup --dupes
# package-cleanup --leaves
Do not rush to remove packages shown there immediately (it may be even
dangerous to do it - they are not foolproof).

In case of packages suck and leafnode, if you do not use them in particular,
just try to remove them, and eventually reinstall them again, by which they
are supposed to clean themselves up:
# yum remove suck
# yum remove leafnode

> # rpm -V openoffice.org-writer
>
> This one returns nothing . I guess tha means that it checks out fine
>
> >  JB

Now with regard to OpenOffice.
I would suggest that you reinstall Writer:
# yum reinstall openoffice.org-writer

If that does not help, reinstall all your OO packages:
# yum reinstall openoffice.org-*

Tell us how you start your OO Writer when you get the error ?
What desktop are you on: GNOME, KDE, etc ?
- from the menu ?
  If so, what is in that menu's launcher ?
  Applications - Office - OpenOffice.org Writer
  right click your mouse on  OpenOffice.org Writer and select "Add this
  launcher to panel"
  Then on the panel right click on the OO Writer icon, click properties and
  tell us what is in Launcher Properties.
- from the panel ?
  check properties as above
- from the command line ?

Just to make sure that you do not have any OO executable leftovers.
Please show us the output:
$ ps aux |grep -i office

JB