Re: Printer marker levels -

On 1/28/2011 11:04 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

>     I am plagued with the cryptic message:
>
>         Printer "Brother-HL-5140": ";marker-supply-low".
>

>     This seems to have begun recently, perhaps with the installation of
>     F-14, I'm not certain? If I knew what it means I might be able to
>     fix something, alternatively how to eliminate it if I can't satisfy
>     whatever it's objecting to.
>
>     System-config-printers > Properties tells me "Marker levels
>     [whatever they are] are not reported for this printer" but the
>     notice keeps coming up anyway.
>
>     I print two copies each of five crossword puzzles every morning and
>     this notice keeps popping up and blocking part of my screen, an
>     annoyance and one more thing to keep clicking on!
>
>     Suggestions?

That sounds to me like your printer is not properly reporting the ink
levels to the software or that the software is not reading it correctly.
It does not mean that the cartridge is low, or empty (empty would not
print at all), only that the level is not being reported. This might be
a 'new feature' that you did not see before because it was not available.

I suggest that you look for a way to disable this warning temporally and
that I do not know if 1) there is a way or 2) how to do that to avoid
the annoyance but also that you report it as a bug to perhaps get it fixed.

Assuming nothing  ;-)  but this feature is expected to 'works in
Windows' by users so I would guess it is a fault of the software.

--

  David