USB Serial Port

This may be easy for some but, all of my Linux experience has been on
servers and I am just now trying to move into the desktop side.

I am trying to use a USB to Serial adapter by Belkin for a needed
application at work.  I plan on using PuTTy as my comm plaform but, I
cannot figure out what port id the device is being given or if I need to
configure it in some manner.

Anyone know a simple way or the correct place to look for info about
this on the Web?

Mike D.